Social Media - Which Platform Has Been The Most Awful Since The Inauguration
Disclaimer - I am 100% guilty of doing all of these things and have contributed to the suckiness of social media this week...
1. Facebook: I think everyone of both sides of the political spectrum can agree on one thing - Facebook has majorly sucked this week. In the last few years, Facebook has become a major source of news for many people via shared articles. And there has been A LOT of news this week. Everytime I check my Facebook app (which is way more than I care to admit) it seems Trump has signed another executive order and everyone and their mother (literally) has a long-winded opinion about it. We get it, you read The Washington Post.
2. Twitter: Ahhhh, Twitter. The birthplace of so many laugh-out-loud worthy memes. But when sprinkled amongst so much political BS, the memes only make Twitter slightly more tolerable than Facebook. And let us not forget that Twitter is the preferred platform of communication for our new administration. They don't have the best way with words, so it might be part of their strategic plan to keep their thoughts to 140 characters or less.
3. Instagram: This one lands right in the middle. Let's be real - we all went a little overboard posting pictures of the Inauguration and the Women's March; but they were historic events which deserve to be documented a la Valencia. But IG seems to be getting back to normal fairly quickly, and thank God because this is my favorite.
4. Snapchat: I really enjoy the snapchats of Trump with the various Snapchat filters. A ridiculous filter on top of his already ridiculous facial expressions can add some real comic relief to this situation. Overall, Snapchat has remained the same. I still don't care about your 400 second story from last night; we all know you aren't actually having that much fun at an overrated nightclub.
5. Pinterest: Nothing new here, still just your roommate sending you DIY home improvement ideas that you'll never get around to trying.
I studied Public Relations. I consume media constantly. But this week, even I have had to refrain from going on social media. Can we all agree to go back to posting dog videos and bad puns for a day?